Sunday, November 21, 2010

That week.

So like I had mentioned earlier, this was the hardest week of my semester. It went like this...
monday- huge nursing test. ended up getting a 76. super pysched.
tuesday- start spending every minute (not exaggerating) studying for the massive test friday. have a test in positive psych. have duty... one of my friend's offers to take the late part of my shift so i can sleep to prepare for clinicals. so thankful! Got no sleep... kept waking up thinking I was missing my test.
wednesday- up by 5:30. dressed in scrubs, run through shipleys, at Scott and White by 6:15. Meet my J1 (a student one semester ahead of me that already has patients) that I'm goin to follow for the day. And here's where things got even more complicated.

We never got to sit through the whole shift, ran from 6:45 to 12. Didn't get to do any of the paperwork I was supposed to do.
Went back to school... started studying. Met with my partner for the test on Friday. Then met with my buddy to study more. Studied all night, no sleep again.
Thursday- up at 5:30. Back to my patient. Started paperwork on the rare moments we could sit.
Left at about 12:10. Went through Taco Bell drive-through and had to go straight to class. After class, went straight back to study for the rest of the night, except when I had an RA meeting. Dying from sleep exhaustion.
Friday- met with Ashleigh first thing in the morning to keep studying. Test pushed back a half hour. At 11, had the biggest test, where you and your new partner have to do a complete physical in 30 minutes, testing about 60 things in order, in front of the nursing professors, with no notes and nothing to write on. Then you go to another room and have to write down every result so they can compare it with theirs. I was shaking through it, but just did my best. When I finished I heard something that almost made me pass out. My teacher put down her pencil, took a deep breath and said...
"I'm shocked. You did the best I've seen so far. I'm not supposed to tell you this but... you got a 99. You're going to be great. Keep it up."
Finally, hard work paying off. Now all I had was weekend duty... still with no sleep. But I got to see my family and spend the weekend with one of my friends from Japan.
Thanks God. I needed that sooo much.

2 comments:

  1. Im so flipping proud of you, I can't even fully explain it. Was there ever any question.

    YOUR AMAZING, what God is doing through you, is AMAZING.. your work ethic, is and WILL continue to pay off.

    You will be an incredible nurse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww thank you :) that means a lot to me leslie.
    bummer we can't see you this thanksgiving! i think the skype thing is a good idea though, for real.

    ReplyDelete